Friday, October 29, 2010

Expansion

In the MA (MicroAquarium) this week, an "Atison's Betta Food" pellet was added. Made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104, the ingredients are: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.

Because of this pellet, growth in my MA greatly increased. I noticed very rapidly reproducing Actinosphaerium and a large increase in the amount of cyanobacteria and other organisms, especially what I think are Euplotes. I also saw the appearance what I believe to be Vorticella.

Also due to the pellet, the depth of life in my MA has increased. Whereas most organisms last week were able to be seen at one focus level of the microscope, this week the focus could be adjusted to three or four different levels of activity. In that same line of thought, the area of the MA on the opposite side of the pellet saw little to no growth in terms of population and diversity.

Until next week,

SC

Euplotes





Rapid Expanse of Euplotes

No comments:

Post a Comment